Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Anthropology of YouTube




What is YouTube?
  According to Wikipedia, YouTube is a video sharing website where users can upload, share, and view a wide spectrum of videos. But the meaning of YouTube varies throughout users where some find it as a way to broadcast themselves; a window of opportunity or just a means of entertainment.
While watching some videos on  YouTube, I came across some users who actually use YouTube as a guide for tutorials such as the Fairy Barbie Makeover which was a very intriguing tutorial to me and probably would be something I would look up because I absolutely love fairies. 
Another way that I see YouTube being used is for news and politics where Christina Aguilera is ultimately scrutinized for so called messing up "The Star Spangled Banner"giving the opportunity for us YouTube users to replay her mistake as many times as we feel. 

YouTube's Impact
        By YouTube giving users complete control over what they upload besides their censors they put on the videos just in case they are not appropriate for everyone, they are unknowingly impacting our lives significantly. From what we wear, to our presidential elections, to businesses, or even causing controversial issues between states YouTube is much more apparent in our lives than we know. 
 Though some may not have realized, even our presidential elections had an impact from YouTube. Because of YouTube, our presidential election in 2008 was very much more greatly publicized and promoted through all of the new opportunities that YouTube was offering. For instance, YouTube made it possible for viewers to watch presidential debates on their site and even allowed users to post a question that was then sent to the candidate for them to answer like it was shown on CNN with Obama and McCain

YouTube Memorials 
Not only does YouTube offer viewers with entertainment, window of opportunity to be discovered, insight on political views etc. they also provide a place for users to come and commemorate lost ones through videos memorials. I just now found out about how YouTube provides a different culture in which people can create a virtual memorial opposed to the traditional ones in a public area. While I was on YouTube I typed in a few because I never noticed that people did this to celebrate lost ones and I am always on YouTube so I typed in Marilyn Monroe Memorials because I just think she was so pretty.

Future of Television
 In The YouTube Reader, they ponder on whether or not YouTube will be the "next-generation tv." To me, I feel that YouTube will not hurt today's television in anyway, but if in any way YouTube does affect television I believe it will on enhance the experience of television such as how 3D at home has made watching television even more fun. Although YouTube has had ultimate success and plenty of riches, in the further future I believe that they will not be changing television in a threatening way. 


2 comments:

  1. hello :) i thought it was very interesting how you talked about the memorials. I watched several videos but didnt see the ones where they showed the service so people did not actually have to attend. I think that is very interesting. You did a great job with all the colors and making it fun to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typically use YouTube for instructional videos. I have fixed my washer, dryer and improved my InDesign skills all using their clips.

    ReplyDelete